Friday, October 2, 2009

Alpine Meadows


Just finished another quilt today.  This fabric is a tad on the dark side, but I was drawn to the cabin-in-the-woods theme.  When I first saw it, it reminded me of the cabin near Ruidoso that my husband's parents own.  We recently spent three wonderful days relaxing there with our daughter Nicholle, and we look forward to next spring and the opportunity to enjoy the cabin again!

The fabric also reminds me of the Pacific Northwest where I grew up - lots of pine trees with that wonderful pine scent.  I love traveling back home and taking in the fragrance of the evergreens.  When I was growing up, my dad and I loved to hike in the hills behind our family home where small streams of clear fresh water ran through the thick woods.  In the winter time, the snow would weigh down the tree branches forming a canopy over the road.

In 1975, my parents moved to an area near Hayden, Idaho called Alpine Meadows which is where the above picture was taken.  Daddy passed away in December 2005, but mom still lives in their home which she now shares with her dog Karlee, and where she still attends their church, goes to lunch with her lady friends, goes shopping, and enjoys baking her famous cinnamon rolls, brownies and pies.  This quilt is entitled Alpine Meadows in honor of mom and daddy's special homestead.

No comments:

Post a Comment